I Regret Creating SARS In 1984 — Former CP Fulani Kwafaja

A retired Commissioner of Police, Fulani Kwajafa, has expressed regrets for establishing the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigeria Police Force. . . Kwajafa while speaking in an interview with BBC Hausa said the unit had completey derailed from its founding objectives. . . “I entered the Nigeria Police Force in 1984. Then robbery was prevalent. Buhari, the then Head of State, got a lot of complaint. He told me and Mr Inyang, the then IGP, that we must do something about it or be fired. . . Mr Inyang called me and told me to come up with a plan to save the country from thieves, so I said okay. . . After four months of creating SARS, there was peace, those who were not caught ran, and those who were caught were sent to prison. . . This thing frustrates me, there is no reason why because someone commits a crime that the person should be killed. There are laws and no one will give an order that if you see armed robbers kill the person. . . I’ve been hearing disheartening news, to the extent that…

Kogi Amala Meal: Death Toll Increases

A 42-year-old woman and a boy, 10, who also ate the 'poisoned' cassava flour meal in Ogaminana area of Okene in Kogi, died on Thursday, November 3rd, at the Federal Medical Centre, Lokoja, while the third victim is in critical condition.

LIB recalls that a woman, her three children and her neighbor's two kids died between Monday, Oct. 31 and Tuesday,Nov. 1, after eating a meal of cassava flour.

The woman brought the cassava from .....
.her farmland at Ohuepe village, which she used to prepare dinner for her family and gave some of the food to her neighbor. The victims developed severe stomach pains hours later and died.

The Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Olatunde Alabi told newsmen that three victims of the cassava flour meal were rushed to the hospital in critical condition on Wednesday morning from Ogaminana, Adavi Local Government Area, but two of them died Thursday morning.

The boy died at about 4 a.m while the woman gave up the ghost at about 10 a.m, while the third victim, a girl said to be about 13 years, is in critical condition. Dr. Alabi confirmed that seven people actually died between Monday and Tuesday, and not six as reported.Although the cause of the deaths are yet to be officially confirmed, the hospital is suspecting cyanide poison.

"Clinically, we are saying we are suspecting cyanide poison," Alabi said, adding that the hospital staff did their best to save the victims.

Meanwhile, the state government has decided to send the blood samples of the victims for detoxicology test in South Africa.